Saturday, July 9, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to the place for reviews, homeschool ideas, thoughts, recipes, lessons and fun. But first, an introduction to the blog's name. For an introduction on the reasons I teach see the intros to Pom and Diva

Everyone I meet for the first time says "What do you do for a living?". I respond with "Everything."

No one gets that at first until I explain that I run three businesses, volunteer as the service unit manager for Girl Scouts, lead two troops and transport four kids to 11 dance classes, Awanas and 4H. OH YEAH! And I homeschool.

I am usually met with a dumbfounded look and some form of question on how I can homeschool, like that's the least important of what I do.

I get that I live in a world of chaos. I left out that we have 2 cats and a dog, I cook most of our meals and then post the recipes and we are expecting a baby in December. Honestly though, the homeschooling is the MOST important, the most fun and the most interesting thing that I do. I love doing child care, I love writing and I love Stampin' Up but the education of my children is imperative.

Unless they homeschool, however, everyone assumes that as long as I am not actively doing something for 'work', I must be free. "Let's go to the park", "You don't have daycare kids tomorrow, come hang out with me", "Come get coffee with me" or my personal favorite "What are you doing today? Oh just school? COOL you should come over since you don't have anything planned". Really?

In any given day, school takes up more of time than anything else. I put the daycare kids to work even, with preschool lessons and crafts to keep them learning and occupied. They love it, my kids aren't distracted and I am still teaching. I PLAN a lot for the week. Just because I am teaching at home doesn't mean I am not TEACHING. If I were in a classroom you wouldn't say "since you don't have anything planned". We have a schedule. We have 'classes' and we have a plan.

But that's okay, because I am homeschooling on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment